CNA Students Getting Ready For the Future

Harleton Highschool Prepares Students for Nursing through the CNA Program.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Shonda Irvine

Shonda Irvine

Shonda Irvine

Shelbi Hebert and Jaycee Granbery

For the second year in a row, Harleton seniors have participated in the Certified Nurses Assistant program through Panola College.  

CNA’s are the people you see 24/7; they are the ones who do the most hands-on care.

Peyton Grimes added, “Being a CNA has allowed me to make peoples’ day just by sitting and having a short conversation with them.”

CNA’s have to be able to work in difficult environments and must have compassion when dealing with the patients. 

Senior Alyssa Pruitt said, “When being a CNA you have to be compassionate, sympathetic, and have responsibility and respect.”

The CNA class is regulated by the state of Texas which means that they decide how many clinical hours and how many classroom hours you must complete to obtain your certification. 

Senior Shelbi Hebert says the length of the class time can be difficult, “We had to sit in there for 2 hours which doesn’t sound that bad but when you put eight girls in a room together you are going to get off topic.”

Once the clinicals began, the students realized their hard work started paying off.

Jaycee Granbery “I am very excited that clinicals have started. I finally feel like I’m being productive and I’m actually using the skills Mrs. Shonda has taught us.”

Health Science instructor Shonda Irvine is excited about this year’s group, “These young women have shown so much compassion to the residents they care for, and I am very proud of the work ethic they have shown. There isn’t any doubt in my mind that these young women will achieve anything they set their mind to be.”

The students are all very thankful for this opportunity to do something they love with close friends, and they are excited for the future that this career holds for them.