The Story Behind the Paw (Print)

Taking this elective will teach you so much more than just creating a shirt.

Katelyn+Smith+screen+prints+a+shirt+for+a+customer.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

The Story Behind the Paw (Print)

Katelyn Smith screen prints a shirt for a customer.

Ashanti Johnson

Ashanti Johnson

Ashanti Johnson

Ashanti Johnson, Staff Writer

As the new year rolls around, it opens us new opportunities for students to explore the many electives Harleton High has to offer. Print Shop has been an offered elective on our campus for nine years now and has grown successful throughout the years. Mrs. Lindsey McClung talks about the progression of the print shop and says,

“We have more and more kids taking the class every year. This is the 9th year we’ve had a print shop and the 3rd year I’ve taught it, but every year we add on more things. Other schools have even contacted us and our name has gotten out there.”

Prior to teaching print shop, Mrs. McClung taught English for 10 years. The switch from English to being over a print shop would seem incredibly difficult, but Mrs. McClung was up to the challenge.

“I had a machine at my house already and was doing some of the basic things at home like my kid’s shirts and things like that. But what I like about the print shop is that not every day is the same. I don’t think It was a hard shift at first but it was definitely a learning curve. It was neat to switch over.”

We asked students that have previously taken print shop what their experiences were like and why they like print shop. Junior Baili Knoble said, “I like being in print shop because I’m able to be apart of designs for groups and individual.”

Ashanti Johnson
MacLemore creates a t-shirt design on the computer.

Junior Christi Gallagher said, “I like print shop because it’s my morning class and I can get everything done, also it wakes me up with everything that I do!”

All things come with highs and lows, ups and downs, and pros and cons.

When asked about the highs and lows of print shop, Mrs. McClung thoughtfully answered, “The lows are deadlines. You have deadlines and they are very important. You cannot go past a deadline and it’s very hard to overcome them, especially when there are multiple of them. The highs are seeing people appreciate our product and wanting to order from us. These kids are learning a trade and when they graduate, they can get a job because they know how to do it. And the kids do all of the work. Devon Smith, for example, took Print Shop in high school and now she owns her own shop. The biggest high is seeing them being successful and doing a project from start to finish.”

Ashanti Johnson
Tyler Mobley searches for images to put on cheer camp shirts.

And they do just that! Last semester alone, the print shop made over 1800 shirts just from August to December; however, all of those shirts do not pay for themselves and money doesn’t grow on trees. The Print Shop is able to sustain itself because they are a business.

“We have a budget that the school board adopts for us and a wildcat account that gives us X amount of money. The way it works is a shirt cost X amount of dollars and you charge a little bit more so you can make a profit, but we don’t charge too much.”

As a freshman, you walk into high school with little knowledge of what electives are out there for you. If you decide to take Print Shop, you will learn Adobe Illustrator and that is the foundation for everything that they do. You learn vinyl, basic screen print, etc. and by May, you have become heavily acquainted with all of the aspects of the program. You also learn the business side of the Print Shop — price match, how to make an order, every aspect of it. You also learn skills that will help you in many ways in the real world.

“The kids learn time management, basic business skills, how to work in teams, preciseness with all things, how some things have to be the same thing every time, and problem-solving skills. As far as specifically for a Print Shop, they learn design skills, troubleshooting, screen print, and they learn heat transfer vinyl.”

So, you’ve heard all of the facts. You’ve listened to all of the things that print shop has to offer, but the big question is: why should students take print shop? 

Senior Madison Busby encourages students to try it out, “I think other students should take print shop because it’s a wonderful opportunity to express your creativity (without having to have art skills). It’s a great opportunity to learn something that you will probably never get the chance to learn again. Plus, it’s TONS of fun!!!”

1 Comment

One Response to “The Story Behind the Paw (Print)”

1. Crystal Brock on February 5th, 2019 10:40 am

Great article, Ashanti!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• The Story Behind the Paw (Print)

Entertainment

Rogers Hopes to Run her way to State One Hurdle at a Time

• The Story Behind the Paw (Print)

Entertainment

Co-working Couples: How being Married and Working Together Affects a Relationship

• The Story Behind the Paw (Print)

Entertainment

Bear Creek Smokehouse Continues Their Family Traditions

• The Story Behind the Paw (Print)

Entertainment

February #JustTryIt

• The Story Behind the Paw (Print)

Entertainment

Audio Visual (AV) Students Hope to Draw More Attention to the Class

• The Story Behind the Paw (Print)

Entertainment

The Chocolate Will Eventually Expire

• The Story Behind the Paw (Print)

Entertainment

Band Sets Sights On A New Competition: Solo & Ensembles

• The Story Behind the Paw (Print)

Entertainment

“Birdbox’ Lives Up to the Hype

• The Story Behind the Paw (Print)

Entertainment

Revolutions, Revelations, and Real Tough Changes for the New Year

• The Story Behind the Paw (Print)

Entertainment

“Unwind” Challenges and Entertains Writers

The Story Behind the Paw (Print)