FBLA Takes off to the State Convention

Five students compete at regional meet.

Back to Article
Back to Article

FBLA Takes off to the State Convention

The Future Business Leaders of America members all place in the Area Conference in Athens.

Sheila Clark

Sheila Clark

Sheila Clark

JoJo Clark, staff writer

Five of Mrs. Amy Harkin’s business students not only competed, but advanced to regionals in the Area Leadership Conference in Athens, Texas. Harleton High School, along with many other schools across the nation, offers Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA). FBLA is an educated association that prepares students for careers in business and business-related fields.

Amy Harkins, a teacher at HHS, commented on the benefits of FBLA,” FBLA offers students the opportunity to gain experience that cannot be obtained inside the classroom through events that educate and expose students to a realistic portrayal of being part of today’s workforce.” HHS’s FBLA attended the Area VI-Fall Leadership Conference, where they listened to guest speakers and networked with other students.

All the students who attended the Area VI Leadership Conference placed in their competition. Sophomore Monica Fajardo placed 1st in Introduction to Business Communication, sophomore Jojo Clark 1st in Introduction to Business, sophomore Grayson Handlin 2nd in Introduction to Business, Junior Ethan Bellomy 1st in Computer Problem Solving, and Junior Marlie Demoney 3rd in Personal Finance. All students qualified to compete at the State Leadership Conference in Houston, Texas.

When asked about the competition, Fajardo responded,” I’m very excited about the trip to Houston and also nervous about all the competition. I want to go into Marketing when I’m older, so business communication will help. I studied 20 minutes a day to make sure I was ready for the competition.”

Bellomy responded,” It’s kinda cool I guess to go state. I’m looking forward to winning state and then advancing to nationals! Mostly the questions on my test were over how to fix computer problems. Being that I’m very familiar with computers, I really didn’t have to study that much for my test. I’m very educated about computers if I say so myself. This event will also help me in the future because I plan to pursue a career that involves fixing and dealing with computers.

Demoney was also very pleased with how she did. “ I tried to study every day because I knew the competition would be fierce. Qualifying for state will look great on my college application so that’s a plus,” Demoney stated.