Harleton Softball: Swinging Into The New Season

The Harleton Ladycats are looking to score big this season.

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Ladycats converge after an inning.

The Ladycats converge after an inning.

Amy Underwood

The Ladycats converge after an inning.

Amy Underwood

Amy Underwood

The Ladycats converge after an inning.

Landry Sloan, Staff Writer

As spring slowly arrives in East Texas, girls at Harleton High School begin gearing up for softball season. The players have been preparing since August on their own, but have only recently begun practicing after school on January 18th.

With the season moving at full speed, games have already begun. The team currently has two scrimmages and three games under their belt.

Starting pitcher Marlie DeMoney states, “We’ve done alright so far. There’s definitely room for improvement, but I know we have it in us to do well. Everyday we gain experience, and everyday we are getting better.”

With the recent acquisition of a new coach and a return to district 2A, the Ladycats see potential to do well within their district and possibly further into the playoffs.

┬áJunior Claire Underwood states, “This year has been all about change. We’ve had to buy in on a whole new style of softball, but it makes us stronger as a team and as friends. If we continue to work hard in practice and transfer that energy on the field, we’ll be hard to beat.”

Underwood, along with juniors DeMoney and Ashtyn Hawk, are returning for their third year of varsity Ladycat softball. Within their high school career, they have experienced three different coaches. However, this in no way affects their love of the game.

“It can be disheartening to have so many different coaches. Every year we’ve had to adjust to a new style of coaching, but every year we get through it. Lucky for us, I think Coach Fay is here to stay.”

After the unsuccessful 2017-2018 season, the Ladycats express their most important aspect of this year’s philosophy: bringing life back into the program. Under past long-time coach Justin Kniffen, the program made three consecutive runs to state.

“My sisters played softball when the team had their state runs. I remember how exciting it was to watch them on the biggest stage in high school softball and how I dreamed of playing right along side them. Now that I’m here, I want to be at that level and inspire people just like they did me.” Underwood shares.

With the first district game right around the corner, anticipation for district play is rising. This season represents a new beginning for the Harleton Ladycats: a redemption of last year’s disappointment and a demonstration of what the team is all about.