Mr. Don: The Smile-Bearing Salesman

Mr.+Don+waves+at+passerby.
Back to Article
Back to Article

Mr. Don: The Smile-Bearing Salesman

Mr. Don waves at passerby.

Mr. Don waves at passerby.

Sarah Horan

Mr. Don waves at passerby.

Sarah Horan

Sarah Horan

Mr. Don waves at passerby.

Sarah Horan, Staff Writer

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

Sarah Horan
Mr. Don attracts business at the intersection of highways 2879 and 2208

Selling honey and wooden canes at the intersection of highways 2879 and 2208 in Longview, Texas, Mr. Don is known for his kind presence and optimistic spirit. Most passersby recognize his demeanor and smile, wave, or honk.

Occasionally, one asks, “Who is this man, and where did he come from?”

Don Erdmenn was born on a farm in Detroit, Michigan. When he was 18, he enlisted in the United States Navy. There, he spent four years in active duty and an additional four on reserve.

After his military career, Mr. Don did maintenance on factory machines in the Chicago area for many years. Later, he moved to Las Vegas to be closer to family and worked for 12 years building massive apartment complexes.

Mr. Don and his loving wife, Cathy, were drawn to East Texas to be close to their daughter, a physical therapist, and their son-in-law.

Next door to their daughter’s workplace, their son-in-law opened a nurses’ scrubs store, where Erdmenn was employed and earned the name “Mr. Don” from their customers.

Fourteen years ago, Mr. Don began selling his canes and walking sticks, made out of oak, crepe myrtle, and occasionally cedar. It wasn’t until three years ago that he began selling honey for a business in Henderson.

When asked about his “marketing strategy”, you’d expect to hear the classic saying “You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar,” but instead Mr. Don gives some excellent advice on life.

Aside from his kind approach to sale

“My dad told me before I went into the Navy, ‘If you want a friend, be one. I got lots of friends,” Mr. Don says proudly.”

— Mr. Don

smanship, Mr. Don gives Christ all of the credit for his outstanding sales.

“The good Lord’s watching over me.” he says, as he explains that he is nearly sold out of honey.

About the Contributor
Sarah Horan, STAFF WRITER

Sarah Horan is a junior and first-year staff member of the Green and Gold. She enjoys baton twirling, animals, and trying new things, especially food....

6 Comments

6 Responses to “Mr. Don: The Smile-Bearing Salesman”

1. Linda fugler on February 7th, 2019 4:32 pm

Loved this

2. Lisa Watson on February 7th, 2019 7:29 pm

Awesome job Sarah!

3. Tonya Fetters on February 8th, 2019 4:31 am

I always WAVE big to him when we pass his spot and have bought a walking stick from him too. Love how he makes me and others smile!

4. Freddie Easterling on February 8th, 2019 8:02 am

I live just up the road (FM 2208) from where Mr Don sets up his to sell his wares. I have never stopped to buy anything though. He waves and I wave and he always has a big o smile on his face. My youngest Grandaughter stayed with us before she started school. She always would lower the car window when we passed and would wave to him. Mr Don and his wares definately liven up that intersection!!!

5. Susan Jaudon on February 8th, 2019 5:17 pm

The most beautiful part of that corner is the smiling face of Mr. Don. My familt and grands always wave. How could you not wave and brighten your own day!!!!

6. Jill shelby on February 10th, 2019 1:11 pm

I come that way every day and wave to him I have bought his honey and it is simply amazing. Such a bright light in this area. He is simply amazing. Always sharing a smile

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Navigate Left
  • Mr. Don: The Smile-Bearing Salesman

Features

Valetine’s Day: A Day for Couples and Singles

• Mr. Don: The Smile-Bearing Salesman

Features

Behind the Hairnet: Be Appreciative to the Women who Cook Your Lunch

• Mr. Don: The Smile-Bearing Salesman

Entertainment

Audio Visual (AV) Students Hope to Draw More Attention to the Class

• Mr. Don: The Smile-Bearing Salesman

Entertainment

The Story Behind the Paw (Print)

• Mr. Don: The Smile-Bearing Salesman