Co-working Couples: How being Married and Working Together Affects a Relationship

Joshua and Julie Furlow approach their fifteenth year of working together while married.

Working+together+enables+the+Furlows+to+spend+more+time+with+their+three+children+Jackson%2C+Jake%2C+and+Jordan.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Working together enables the Furlows to spend more time with their three children Jackson, Jake, and Jordan.

Brittani Milford

Brittani Milford

Brittani Milford

Claire Underwood, Editor

Being married is a roller coaster of fights, forgiveness, love, and at times, dislike. Work provides a bit of peace and perspective during frustrating times, but when couples are also coworkers, it can have unforeseen effects.

In the case of Joshua and Julie Furlow, current teachers at Harleton High School, this situation is all too ordinary. They have worked together for almost 15 years and are coming up on their tenth wedding anniversary. Throughout their entire relationship, the Furlows have worked together at five different schools, three of which they were on the same campus.

They met on the job at Queen City High School, where Julie was the head of the girl’s track team and Joshua the boy’s. Ever since then, they have been inseparable.

While many couples would grow weary of constantly being with their spouse, the Furlows continually reinforce how it has only made their relationship stronger.

“He is my best friend, and I love working with him. Teaching together is the best situation for us and our kids, because we can easily coordinate our schedules, and when we used to coach together, it made it really easy to stay in touch with each other throughout the long hours,” Julie stated.

Despite their loving demeanor, the couple makes a point to keep their relationship competitive. Each day is a continuous competition.

In between classes, Joshua Furlow jokingly said to Julie, “I am definitely a better coach and teacher, because if you aren’t confident in your abilities, then you can’t be a good coach.”

Their cheeky banter keeps the marriage fun and fresh. Contrary to the popular belief that working together can strain a relationship, they make it thrive in the best way possible. It creates an atmosphere of friendship and reliability within their marriage, leaving them more appreciative than ever before.