Rogers Hopes to Run her way to State One Hurdle at a Time

Junior puts in hours of practice to reach her dream

Back to Article
Back to Article

Rogers shows her form as she clears hurdle

Patricia Newman

Patricia Newman

Patricia Newman

Blair Conelius, Staff Writer

Rogers competed at Regionals after this story was published and qualified for State in 300-meter hurdles.

Junior Samantha Rogers has been running hurdles since 7 grade. She runs the 100 and 300-meter hurdles and was able to advance to Regionals in both events and to Area in one event her sophomore and junior year. This year she plans to advance to State and hopefully wins it all.

Roger’s practice routine consists of a warm-up where she practices her drag leg, the leg that trails behind as she jumps, 5-10 times. She then leans the hurdles against a fence and practices “reading her watch”, a technique where the runner brings their arm up as they jump over the hurdle, and bringing her leg over the hurdle about 10-15 times. She then jumps over all the hurdles a few times.

According to Rogers, running hurdles is very difficult.       

Patricia Newman
Rogers competes in chilly track meet.

“The hardest things are getting your steps right because you have to have about 7-8 steps before the first hurdle, making sure you read your watch, staying low, and making sure you get over the hurdles quick enough.”

Even though it might look natural, there’s still the chance of falling or not getting your steps right which is Roger’s biggest fears.

“There’s not really an easy thing cause it’s really hard, and people say when I do it it looks natural.” 

Some advice Rogers would give to someone new at hurdles would be to make sure you get your steps right, read their watch, and jump over, not just step straight over, the hurdles. She has a had a very successful career in hurdles so far and her dream is to run for Texas A&M at College Station once she graduates.