A&M Aggie Makes Her Way Out of Harleton

McGill named HHS Salutatorian

Back to Article
Back to Article

A&M Aggie Makes Her Way Out of Harleton

Heather McGill in her cap and gown.

Heather McGill in her cap and gown.

Heather McGill in her cap and gown.

Heather McGill in her cap and gown.

Ashanti Johnson, Staff Writer

Senior, Heather McGill, has definitely proven herself in her accomplishments throughout her high school career by adding the title salutatorian of the class of 2019 to her accolades.

Starting off her freshman year being number 4 in her class, the ongoing battle to reach the top was hard. Through sophomore year, McGill held the number two spot but kept going back and forth between one and two. McGill had to work incredibly hard to get to where she is today.

“I took as many honors classes and dual credit classes as I could to keep my GPA up.”

Days prior to finding out the final rankings, Heather competed in the state golf tournament in Austin, Texas and placed 15th out of 72 girls in the 2A division. When asked about how golf has affected her academic studies, McGill exclaimed that it didn’t affect her negatively in any way.

“Playing sports has probably helped me more than anything because it made me figure out a schedule for when I need to get things done.”

Without knowing how many points she was from claiming the title Valedictorian, administration says that it was a very close race and it was interesting to see it go back and forth.

All else aside, McGill has an incredibly bright future ahead. She plans on attending Texas A&M University to major in nursing.

Heather continues to be an inspiration to so many students and will definitely leave her mark on HHS. Her advice to her peers that may be holding the salutatorian spot, just like she was is :

“Don’t get senioritis because that kills. Just work through it and take the classes you need to take to bring your GPA up.”