HHS Powerlifting Teams Soon to be Powerhouse

Ava Scalia, Staff Writer

This school year the Wildcats have been dominating every competition they encounter. With the football boys becoming area champs and the basketball girls already racking dubs, the powerlifting crew isn’t coming to play. Many students have signed up for the UIL event and are excited to bring the heat this season. 

Powerlifting is a competition based on 3 lifts:  squat, bench press and deadlift. Lifters have 3 attempts at each exercise to gain the largest total lift and compete in weight classes and team scoring is similar to that of a track meet.

An early 6:30 A.M. is the starting time for girls’ practice, and our boys begin their workouts after a tiring day at school. However, these gruesome hours don’t stop the amount of practices that are mandatory. 5 days a week, 2 times a day, Coach Parrish is there in the weightroom helping to build up his teams. This demanding program isn’t just to wear the kids out; every practice is meant to strengthen and build the students’ abilities. 

“I was asked to start a powerlifting program at one of the schools I worked at. I immediately fell in love with the sport because of its high intensity and competition. As we became more successful, I saw the confidence it gave our kids. It also allowed some kids who weren’t the best athletes to have something that was their own, something they could have success with. Everyone can’t dribble a ball or jump or catch. Powerlifting is an effort sport. That’s why I love coaching it.”

Coach Parrish, a go hard or go home type of guy, will no doubt lead these teams to many championships. His belief is that the teams’ success will be equaled by the sacrifice and hard work they put into their goals. There definitely isn’t any slacking with this guy around. Parrish’s job as the powerlifting coach is to train the lifters in the rules, commands, and techniques of powerlifting. He puts the plan together and guides the athletes through the season. This ambitious coach believes motivating lifters is an integral part of his job.

The actual competition is no doubt the scariest part of it all. Having to walk into a room with people as strong or even stronger than you can drop your confidence level all the way down. 

“At first it is very scary. You have hundreds of lifters at a meet, hundreds of people watching, and it’s loud, and everyone is gathered around the platforms. There are judges and you’re nervous. All that goes away when you get your first lift. There is nothing like the adrenaline rush of people cheering for you while you’re getting a lift. The white lights come on, and it’s the best feeling. The team comradery is worth all the nerves.”

While powerlifting may seem unreachable to some, anyone can compete, as long as you have the drive, capability, and overall team spirit. Sacrifices may have to be made such as sleeping late and being a couch potato, but the big picture includes that of an innumerable amount of personal victories.