Four Books You Need to Read

Elizabeth Smith, Staff Writer

A good book can help you travel into a new world where you can escape beyond our norms. Magical worlds, epic fights, passionate romances; when you pick up a book, whatever you desire is at your fingertips. From teenage assassins and girls fighting for their freedom to an ancient Indian curse, these four books have everything in an epic fantasy. 

#1 Throne of Glass

In a world without magic, an assassin is summoned to the castle. She comes not to kill the vicious king who rules from his throne of glass but to win her freedom. If she defeats twenty-three killers, thieves, and warriors in a competition, she will be released from prison to serve as the king’s champion. Her name is Celaena Sardothien. 

The Crown Prince will provoke her, the captain of the guard will protect her, and a princess from far away lands will befriend her. But something evil dwells in the castle-and it’s there to kill. When her competitors start dying one by one, Celaena’s fight for freedom becomes a fight for survival-and a desperate quest to root out the evil before it destroys her world. 

#2 A Court of Thorns and Roses

This story follows an ordinary girl who survives the dregs of poverty by the skin of her teeth. With no help from her two sisters or her disabled father, she has to venture out into the unforgiving winter to search for food. While sitting guard up high in a tree, she spots a wolf. But the wolf was bigger and more agile than the average wolf. With the fae riling up chaos in the human world, she spares no mercy when killing the wolf. 

But when the fae court gets news of her to kill, Feyre Archeon is dragged where everyone fears, and no human has gone. Beyond the wall, she is held captive by a vicious captor who thinks she is the answer to all his problems. 

#3 Tiger’s Curse

Kelsey thinks she is a normal girl, fresh out of high school and looking for a job. Fate puts her in the throes of passion when she finds a flyer for a circus. There she meets the white tiger, Ren. But all is not what it seems when the two bond over the two weeks working together. Things get stranger when an older man appears out of nowhere and buys Ren to bring him back home in the wilds of India. 

Deciding it’s her time to live life to the fullest, she goes with him to make sure he gets settled. When Ren runs away, she chases him to a shaman’s hut deep into the jungle, and everything changes once her best friend becomes human.  

#4 Children of Blood and Bone

Everyone thought the gods had taken their magic away. Forever branded a Divîner because of her darker skin and snow-white hair, Zele has been discriminated against her whole life. Her people, once great and powerful, were forced into hiding. That is until a kosidán noble steals a scroll that has the power to bring magic back and make the Maji powerful once again.

With her newfound power of death, Zele, her brother, and two nobles travel around the world to bring the evil tyrant, King of Orisha, down once and for all.