A Day in the Life of … Coach Brown!

Hannah Wilson, Staff Writer

As a coach and U.S. history teacher, Patrick Clay Brown is quite the character!  This teacher puts the charm in Lucky Charms and the “pop” in Snap, Crackle, Pop!

• 5:30 AM:  The beast awakes from hibernation and stirs from his slumber before having his first cup of coffee.
  • 6:25 AM:  Coach Brown begins the 55 minute drive to Harleton High School.  Occasionally, Coach Brown enjoys making a pit stop at Whataburger or Sonic to snatch up a scrumptious sausage, egg, and cheese taquito.
  • 7:20-25 AM:  His black Ford F-150 pulls into the teacher parking lot.
  • 7:30 AM:  Coach Brown bursts into his classroom and begins to prepare for the day by starting his classroom coffee pot, setting up the slides for his classes, and occasionally talking to Coach Fay.
  • 7:55 AM: Kids begin to enter the classroom for the start of class.  Brown teaches 4 different classes until 5th period. He teaches U.S. History in all 4 class periods except Honors World History in 2nd period.
  • 11:45 AM: Begins conference period. This is a time he is able to contact parents, get caught up on grades, and work on lesson plans, unless he’s needed at the field house or helping out with athletics.
  • 12:36 PM:  Lunch!
  • 1:14 PM: 6th period is Brown’s Honors U.S. History class. Coach strives to raise the bar when it comes to these students and assigns additional chapter summaries at the end of each chapter.
  • 2:04 PM:  Freshman lab begins. Freshman lab sets aside time for kids to make up work, and catch up on homework.  Coach Brown uses this time to torture … I mean help mentor and tutor students.
  • 2:54 PM:  Junior high football time!  Coach Brown heads down to the junior high field to begin coaching the youngins!
  • 3:40 PM:  Once junior high football is completed, Coach heads back up to the high school football field. He specializes in being the nose guard coach and, along with Coach Beck, assists Coach Little, our head of the athletic department, with the offensive line.
  • 6:30 PM:  Practice ends, but the day isn’t over for Coach Brown, who’s recently been watching his diet as well as his exercising habits.  On Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays, Brown takes an hour at the high school weight room for upper body, legs, lower back, and core workouts.
  • 8:00 PM:  Begins the 55 minute journey back home.
  • 9:30-10:30 PM:  Watches tv, prepares for the next day, takes care of his daily chores, and eats dinner before heading to bed.

As you can see, Coach Brown has quite the life!  So much can be unseen, but when we dive into the life of Patrick Clay Brown, it’s easy to see the dedication he has to his students, as well as to ourcommunity!  We are VERY appreciative of Coach Brown and thankful he’s part of our Harleton Wildcat family!