#JustTryIt September

%23JustTryIt+September

Allison Woods, Staff

#JustWearIt (Lexi Dominguez) – Throughout Covid-19, many businesses have been struggling through the trials and tribulations of these trying times. Small businesses in particular have been affected. What better way to show support than buying from local businesses? Senior Lexi Dominguez has taken to Depop to start selling her own shirts with embroidered designs on them. If you’re looking for something cute and trendy to wear, don’t go for fast fashion: start buying from small-owned businesses on sites such as Depop, Etsy, Redbubble, and more!

#JustJoinIt Recently, Harleton High School has joined the league of Esports. Esports is a range of competitive multiplayer video games that are treated like a regular sport. Games such as League of Legends, Fortnite, Smite, and more will be played. Many students have shown interest in Esports and it may be just what Harleton needs amidst Covid-19. While we still have physical sports such as football going on, it may be easier to root for teams virtually and while socially distanced. Sophomore and video game advocate Nathan Brown believes that Esports can teach a lot about strategy and how to act on the spot. In fact, a study from the University of Toronto shows that gaming can even improve hand-eye coordination! 

#JustReadIt If books without pictures aren’t your style, no worries! Manga (Japanese-style comic books) is making a comeback! These books appeal to both children and adults, so there’s no shame in flipping through a book with pictures. Senior Gabrielle (Gabby) Cox is one of Harleton’s most avid book readers. Though she loves an array of mangas, her favorite would have to be My Hero Academia, a thrilling tale about a young boy’s journey to be the next #1 hero. These books also copy the Japanese format, tategaki, being written from right to left instead of America’s traditional left to right. So if you’re interested in a new style of reading (or want to confuse your American friends as to why you’re reading books backwards), give manga a try! 

#JustEatIt Here in Harleton, Texas, it isn’t uncommon for our traditional desserts to range from cakes and ice creams to tasty fruits such as watermelon or cantaloupe. But if you’re more of the adventurous type, Gulab jamun (or Gulaab jamun) might be just what your taste buds need. Originating from India, Gulab jamun balls are deep-fried donuts made of dried milk and dipped in a sweet syrup. In India, these tasty treats can be found in just about every festival, wedding, or celebration. You can find various recipes for these online or in US Indian grocery stores. Experience the tasty side of new cultures. You may just find your new favorite dessert for parties! 

#JustListenToIt Tired of listening to the same 5 songs on your boring old playlist everyday? It might be time to spice up your music taste.  And who is more versatile than the iconic Taylor Swift? Ranging from country, pop, and even rock, Miss Swift’s music is expansive to even the most self-proclaimed music snobs. Recently, however, Taylor Swift branched out to reach Indie fans with her new studio album Folklore.  After the surprise album was announced just 16 hours before release, Folklore quickly took the world by storm. Many Taylor Swift fans (Swifties) are very impressed with the vivid storytelling and simple detail to narrative. Whimsical blurs between reality, fantasy, and nostalgic tunes will certainly enlighten your Spotify playlist this year. 

#JustWatchIt Ranking #3 on Netflix shows, The Legend of Korra is a striking spinoff of Avatar: The Last Airbender created by Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante Dimartino. Though the show was released in 2012, it has made a huge comeback since Netflix bought it and put the beloved fantasy animation on its site on August 14, 2020. This decision made the show more easy to access for fans to stream it. The Legend of Korra follows a hot-headed, feisty, teenage girl and her trivial quest as the avatar as well as friends and enemies she meets along the way. Through metaphor, the series focuses on relevant issues such as social issues, economic problems, and more.  Though the show is generally aimed for younger audiences, there is a rhyme and reason as to why it’s trending; between the complex storyline, superb animation, and feature of a strong female protagonist, the show can reach out to anyone of all ages.