New Superintendent and HHS Employees

Lexi Allums, Staff Writer

Despite facing many new circumstances this school year, Harleton High School is excited to welcome new masked faces to our campus!

Superintendent Mr. Jay Ratcliff graduated from Ore City High School before attending Tyler Junior College on a music scholarship for playing the tuba; he also loves to play the guitar.  “Low Brass is where it’s at!”  Mr. Ratcliff then received his bachelors from Texas A&M at College Station and his Masters from Texas A&M at Commerce.  He then became a coach and teacher at Rowlett High School before becoming an assistant principal at both Scurry-Rosser and Wylie East High Schools.  After becoming principal of Waskom High School, Mr. Ratcliff became superintendent of Martinsville ISD and Big Sandy ISD.  

This is Mr. Ratcliff’s 20th year in education!  When asked how Harleton is different from other schools, he said, “The staff and students are very focused. I have never worked in a school district that was as intentional about following through, in every aspect of education, like the Harleton ISD. The teamwork here is unlike any other place I have witnessed. I am excited to be a part of the HISD.”

Mr. Ratcliff would like the staff and students to know he tries to lead with his faith, every day, has very high expectations of both staff and students, and always wants to be available to the community. He wants all kids to be treated fairly and is here for each of you.  Mr. Ratcliff is really looking forward to life without the Coronavirus. 

Coach Chad Sheffield helps out in Content Mastery and graduated from Bloomberg High School before attending Texas A&M at Texarkana.  Before coming to HHS this year, Coach Sheffield worked at Bloomburg ISD  for 7 years. 

When asked how Harleton differs from other schools, he said Harleton students work very hard in the classroom, athletics, and extracurricular activities.  “There seems to be a family atmosphere amongst the staff which makes it easy to come to work.”

Coach Sheffield would like HHS students to know is that he is a very approachable person. His stature comes through a dedication to nutrition and the weight room, but that doesn’t mean he is going to break anyone in half if they talk to him … on most days.  

He is most looking forward to HHS having successful seasons in sports and being able to make a difference in the classroom.

Saran Snelgrove is teaching Geometry and Statistics this year!  She graduated from Jefferson High School before attending Abilene Christian and Sam Houston State Universities.  Mrs. Snelgrove began teaching at Jefferson ISD and continued her teaching career at Katy ISD and Harleton ISD.

When asked how Harleton is different from other schools, Mrs. Snelgrove said learning is at the “TOP OF THE LIST!”  

Her favorite color is rose, and she is most looking forward to teaching geometry.

Holden Guinn is our new Art and Theatre Arts teacher, and this is his first year of teaching.  He’s very excited for UIL OAP!  He attended Brownsboro High School before moving on to Stephan F. Austin University.  

When asked how Harleton differs from other schools he replied, “Harleton is a very small community compared to others [I’ve seen].”

Mr.Guinn wants his students to be the best they can absolutely be!  He would like the staff to know he appreciates all of you for accepting him into this community!