HHS Adds ESports

Kara Jones, Staff Writer

HHS now has Esports with 40 students already signed up!

Esports is competitive video gaming played between two teams from different schools with specific rules and guidelines.  According to NCSA Sports, “players wear team jerseys, compete in arenas and communicate with teammates and coaches as the game unfolds. In 2019, the global esports industry is expected to hit $1.1 billion and capture a fanbase of 454 million.” 

With so much interest, colleges have also added Esports and now offer and accept scholarships for qualifying players, ranging anywhere from $500 to $8,000 a year.  “Harrisburg University—which won ESPN’s inaugural Collegiate Esports Championship in May 2019—became the first college esports program to award full ride scholarships to its entire 16-player roster in 2018.”  More information can be found at:  https://www.ncsasports.org/college-esports-scholarships

HHS students can choose to play Fortnite, League of Legends, Rocket League, Smite, or Overwatch.  Each game will be played on a specific day (TBA) from 4 to 6 after school in Mrs. Harkins’ room. 

Jaze Duncan said, “It will be fun to do this for others who aren’t athletic or don’t like sports.”  Esports will be yet another option for students who haven’t found their “niche” at HHS.  

According to Mr. Chandler, you just need to want to compete and represent HHS.  Attendance and participation are required for all practices and matches.   The fall season starts in October.  Information for tryouts will be announced soon to make sure all students are matched with the appropriate game to suit their individual skills.  

Esports Event Calendar