HHS and COVID-19

HHS and COVID-19

Ethan Lewis, Staff Writer

According to The Brown Center Chalkboard, thousands of K-12 students in the United States are currently missing face-to-face instruction due to COVID-19.  Many parents and educators thus share a common worry:  When the pandemic subsides, kids will return to school with lower achievement.  There are also concerns that the gap between high- and low-achieving students will become larger.

The top 3 questions being asked about COVID-19 are:

1. What can I do to reduce my risk of catching COVID-19?
  2. What are schools doing to protect students and staff from the coronavirus disease?
  3. What do I need to do if I contract COVID-19?

Most children and teens infected with COVID-19 appear to have had mild to moderate symptoms, but the pandemic can have other effects on kids, such as stress, fear, anxiety, and frustration.

Schools are advised to ensure adequate supplies are available to support healthy hygiene practices and to routinely clean and disinfect objects and surfaces that are frequently touched.  They are also working closely with local health officials to review and update their school emergency operation plans and to determine if or when to dismiss schools.

If you contract COVID-19, stay home unless your symptoms require medical care.  Monitor your symptoms carefully. If your symptoms get worse, call your healthcare provider immediately.  Get rest and stay hydrated. Take over-the-counter medicines, such as acetaminophen, to treat your symptoms.

Harleton High School specifically requires masks to be worn at all times except when you are eating or able to social distance (6 feet away).  Custodians sanitize the classrooms every day by fogging them with disinfectant after school and wiping desks down with disinfectant wipes during teachers’ conference periods.  Teachers also wipe desks and laptops throughout the day, and hand sanitizer is available in every classroom as well as at the entrances and exits of the school.