The End of Supernatural

Elizabeth Smith, Staff Writer

The first season of Supernatural, a dark American fantasy, aired on September 13, 2005, and concluded May 4, 2006, after 22 episodes. Over the period of 15 years and 15 seasons, the fanbase grew to love the brothers and their troublesome adventures with otherworldly beings. 

The Winchester brothers, Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) sought to find their father after he went missing. Their father raised the boys to hunt the supernatural as a result of the fiery vengeance that plagued his soul.

When the brothers graduated high school, Dean went on to follow in his father’s footsteps, becoming an amazing hunter. Sam, however, left the nest to create his own path. Having been sick of the dangerous life their father forced them to be a part of, he wanted nothing more than to pursue his dream to become the average lawyer. Until one fateful day when Dean broke into Sam’s apartment and informed him that their dad was missing. The famous words, “Dad is on a hunting trip … and hasn’t been home in a few days” put the duo back together for what Sam thinks is the last hunt. 

As the series progresses, the brothers go from city-to-city, crappy motel to crappy motel, hunting windigos, skinwalkers, demons, and witches.  Metaphorical crap hits the fan when Biblical creatures get involved and the loyal Castiel, Angel of the Lord (Misha Collins) makes the duo a trio before they ultimately pick up more comrades and call themselves Team Freewill.  Though they go through tough times, the characters still remain determined to get rid of the things that go “bump in the dark.”  Betrayal, action, lore, and comedy come together to make this show well worth watching.