Expectation Vs. Reality of Freshman Year

Taylor Claggett, Staff Writer

We all have our own opinions about high school, but is it really the “prison” some people make it out to be? To find out, a group of freshman was asked some specific questions. The students that were chosen had some surprising answers.

Ava Scalia’s expectations were different than she expected.

“Entering high school, I expected it to be very scary and possibly trauma-inducing,” she said,”but it is the complete opposite. I am no longer afraid of the big bad scary school.”

Eighth grade is a distant memory for the new freshman.

“I feel as though I have a lot more freedom and am really learning something every day. My favorite part of my freshmen year would have to be my classes. They are surprisingly interesting and are scheduled nicely,” Scalia added.

She plans to do her best in the next few years and said, “An option I have thought about pursuing after high school would be the military.  I know Harleton High School can give the right tools and guidance to flourish after I graduate.”

We are happy to see some students at Harleton look forward to high school, but some have different opinions about how they work around the school.  All of us have our different ways of succeeding. But there are always problems in the way. From extracurricular activities like football, or forgetting to do your homework are just some of the obstacles. To prove it, I asked a freshman that is in at least one extracurricular activity. We asked him the same questions we asked Ava. Blake Blassingame, age 14, said this:

“Yeah, it’s a lot less boring than junior high. But the classes are a lot faster. I was nervous because it’s a new place with a lot more people than I’m used to.”

He was then asked if there were any goals for the next four years of his life.

“To be an honor student and a leader on and off the football field.”

Being a freshman isn’t as hard as it seems when your down in the middle school. There are some big bumps down the road, but if you just put effort into your high school years, you’ll be prepared enough for your future.