HHS Hires Resource Officers

Safety takes top priority in the district

Ashtyn Hawk

Bruno patrols halls of Harleton High School.

Ashtyn Hawk, Staff Writer

Harleton High School has made a new addition to the staff of the 2018-2019 school year. A resource officer has been put on campus at HHS.

According to Coach Chandler, Assistant Principal of Student Services, “With everything that’s going on, student safety is always going to be our number one concern. We want to make sure all of our students and staff are safe while they are on this campus.”

In recent years, school shootings have become a major issue in the United States. One of the most memorable shootings took place at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado where “two teens went on a shooting spree on April 20, 1999, killing 13 people and wounding more than 20 others before turning their guns on themselves and committing suicide”. In 2018, a shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida left 17 students dead. With this rise in school shootings, many schools— including Harleton— are increasing security.

The campus cop, Lieutenant Alton Fugler stated, “I’m a patrol lieutenant so everybody that’s on the street works for me at this point.” Fugler has 10 years experience under his belt, and when asked why he wanted to become a police officer he said, “I was guided by the Lord. He opened the opportunity for me, and here I am.”

Another policeman strolling the halls of HHS is Rocco Bruno. Bruno has been on the police force for 14 years. He even said, “I love it, it’s a good school.” He also mentioned that his motivation for becoming a police officer was so he could help others.

When asked about the new addition, Sheri Hopkins, Geometry and Statistics teacher, replied, “Although I feel like students are struggling to adjust to having a resource officer on campus, I do believe that it makes our campus a safer place. It puts [the teachers] on higher alert to make sure we are taking care of our business, while also making sure the students are also taking care of their business.”